Sometimes I wonder why I am getting a graduate degree in Architecture. I like to take advantage of moments when I remember to keep me going . . . and I thought maybe my blog readers wonder why I am pursuing architecture, too!
First, I have to say, that I want to be a liscensed architect; I want to draw building sections; I want to work with engineers; I want to take budget, client desires and needs, and make beautiful buildings that people love to live and work in. I don't care if anyone who never goes into them knows about them. But, I do realize buildings affect more than just the people wh o work or live in them and, as cheesy as it sounds, I want to care about them too. I think about where I want to be in my career in 20 years or something and think I will be happy if clients LOVE the buildings they have somehow because of me.
What I love about architecture is the challenge of constraints, if that makes any sense. Because I don't think good architecture comes out of the absence of limits.
Recently we had to do a presentation of our favorite building and I chose Marina City. I am not 100% positive it's my favorite building of Bertrand Goldberg's because I really love some of his hospitals also, but Marina City is so iconic that it made more sense to pick it. Goldberg is an architect that I really admire because of his love of architecture, his attention to the urban context. . . and he is a bit under the radar, despite his great influence in Chicago mid-20th century architecture, which somehow makes me like him more.

Anyway, I loved working in an office before coming to grad school; I do love being in school for the most part, but it's nice having that experience in an office and knowing I will get to be there again after graduating. . . and maybe I'll move to Chicago and live in MC!
Here are some pictures of Seoul lately:

James, Nick, me, TJ touring Paju Book City - I love this pictures for some reason.
Bar James, Andy, and I went to to mourn Patrick Swayze.
Urban Hive - that is a structural skin!
TJ, our amazing classmate who is Korean and is always willing to help us translate things, get around the city, etc. - in the picture we are visiting our studio project site in Gwanggyo.
FC Seoul game - so fun and World Cup stadium is walking distance from our apartments.

Andy & I at the FC Seoul game

You know Frank Lloyd Wright considered his most successful projects the ones that had a tight budget!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to be a fabulous architect! I just hope you move back to Memphis at some point (I can dream, right?)!
ReplyDeleteYou'll be happy to know, I'm keeping the dress. Thanks for approving :)