Monday, September 7, 2009

SEOUL - prada transformer

Rem Koolhaas and Prada created a tetrahedron Transformer to recognize the constant change of the art, architecture, and fashion world. You can read about it here. It is really ugly, in my opinion, but the theory of it is worth reading. This ever changing structure was built in Seoul, one of the most vital cities in the world, and, interestingly enough is purposely set next to a 16th century Korean Palace.
The space has changed for every event as shown in the diagram: fashion show, cinema, art exhibition, and a mysterious special event that I am very curious about. We saw the art exhibition. I won't talk about the actual art because I didn't really understand it... at all.

Anyway, they flip the entire building with cranes for each different event, switching which side is the floor, ceiling, wall. I expected one giant concrete foundation, but there are actually individual ones for each "leg" to sit on for each floor that sits. So, some foundations are not being used for some floors, etc.

So, needless to say, I enjoyed this. I am still soaking up the culture and especially the fashion. The best way I can describe Korean women, besides that they wear heels everyday, everywhere, is . . . you know those tunic dresses with the bows around the waist? Korean women wear those and I am pretty certain they go to work all day, in and out of crowded subways, speed through the Home Plus shopping market for dinner, and make it home without wrinkling the bow. They bows are still perfect, as if they are mannequins' clothes. Seriously? Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment